Posted by William Diaz on July 9, 2013
I have only seen a handful of these previously and encountered another one recently, so with time permitting I decided to look at it more in-depth. The issue was that on one particular workstation, regardless of the account being used, we were unable to connect to a particular model of printer. Navigating to the printer server share, right-clicking the printer and selecting Connect resulted in the following error: “Connect to Printer. Windows cannot connect to the printer.”
The details stated that the “Operation failed with error 0x00000057.” Looking up that status code was of no help, it simply states ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER.
The error may also present itself as: “Printer driver was not installed. operation could not be completed (error 0x00000057).”
Initial troubleshooting involved deleting the printer and going into the Print Management console and selecting the related print drivers and deleting them. This requires admin permissions and you must stop and start the spooler to unhook any drivers hooked by the spooler process. This does two things, it purges the drivers from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and cleans the registry of the printer and print driver references. In this case, this failed to correct the problem.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posted in Troubleshooting, Troubleshooting Tools | Tagged: Printing | Leave a Comment »
Posted by William Diaz on July 9, 2013
I have run into this a few times. I suspect the issue was being caused by the method in which the original installation of the JRE client was being uninstalled. In our environment, we control the installation of removal of most software via a 3rd party utility. This means that in some cases our techs (or sometimes the user) will try to remove a product via Programs and Features but will not have complete permissions to undertake the process, which may end up only partially uninstalling the product, leaving fragments of it in the file system.
The problem often starts with the following warning": "Java Setup. This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?”
Selecting Yes results in the following error: “Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run…”
Sometimes this may be proceeded or followed by a Windows installer error: “This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.”
Looking at the details of the error in the Windows Application Event logs offers some details:
I can only assume regutils.dll is the module necessary for registering and unregistering the JRE client properly. Looking at that path, I can see that the Java programs folder is gone or the sub-folder for regutils.dll is empty. I am guessing that sometimes a technician comes along and decides to just delete the Java programs folder in desperation while trying to recover from a botched uninstall.
One way to work around this is to simply take this dll from a another workstation and copy it to or create the folder path in the error. For standalone computers, though, this may not be an option. I decided to take a quick look in the registry to see is I could identify the key that was still in place and preventing the complete removal or upgrade of the existing JRE using Process Monitor. I filtered the trace for the Java install-uninstall msiexec, registry only. After the trace was collected, I filtered further to include only “installer” in the path. After a few tries, I came to the culprit:
After deleting HKCR\Installer\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF238120602FF The Java JRE install proceeded normally.
I should mention that Microsoft offers another way to handle stubborn uninstalls: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/, and upon reproducing the issue I can confirm it also works in properly cleaning up the residual registry key(s).
Posted in Troubleshooting | Leave a Comment »